SEE: ALL PUMICE PRODUCTS

Concrete: Performance-Enhancing Pumice Pozzolan

BUY PUMICE POZZOLAN

By the time the Romans built the Pantheon in Rome, they had the formula for long-lived concrete figured out: they added pumice dust. Pumice was the original concrete pozzolan (supplementary cementitious material).

Sourced from the world's purest commercial deposit of white pumice

hess pumice products logo

MODERN PORTLAND CEMENT is fast-setting and widely useful. But it has an achilles heel: poor longivity. Almost as soon as standard concrete is placed, it begins to degrade. It's a matter of chemistry. Studies sugggest that only about 75% of the cement powder is converted to Calcium Silicate Hydrate (CSH), which is the chemical binder that makes concrete what it is. The other 25%? It is converted to a by-product compound known as Calcium Hydroxide (CH) that creates a host of problems that have a deleterious effect on the longivity and effective performance of concrete.

The solution? Add a pozzolan. Pozzolans are a class of supplemental cementitious materials that supercharge concrete performance. Pumice, in particular, is an excellent pozzolan. Used at a 15 to 20% replacement rate for Portland cement, the finely ground pumice pozzolan works to drastically reduce, even eliminate, by-product CH by coverting it to CSH. More CSH means more binder. That means more density in the concrete matrix, more long-term strength, less permeability (becomes highly resistant to chemical attacks and freeze-thaw-process damage), reduced heat of hydration cracking, and flatlined alkali silica reaction. All that adds up to high-performance concrete durability.

Extensive information about how pozzolans work, and in particular, how our natural pumice pozzolan works, is available at the HessPozz.com website. You'll also find summaries of the quantifying research done on the performance of our pozz in concrete and mortar. A small selection of informative PDF documents are also attached below.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION and SUPPORT DOCUMENTS:

Technical Data: the physical and chemical properties of our natural pumice.

Pumice Safety Data Sheet (PDF)

Whitepaper: How Pumice Pozzolans Supercharge Concrete Performance (PDF)

Whitepaper: Ultrafine Pumice Pozzolan for Glass Fiber Reinforced Concrete Products (PDF)

Research Summary: Pumice Pozzolan (PDF)

Website: HessPozz.com

Website: FlyAshReplacement.com

Website: AboutPumice.com

DENSIFIER325™ STANDARD POZZ (DS325)
A highly-effective natural pozzolan for precast concrete products and formed-and-cast concrete construction like walls, piers and foundations. Used in shotcretes, cementitious grouts, plasters, mortars. Densifier325™ is a must in regions with reactive aggregates that cause ASR and in locations with high-sulfate soils or in applications subject to sulfate and/or chloride attacks. Also effective in high abrasive and freeze-thaw environments.
» Size/Grade: Microfine powder (DS325)
Technical Data Sheet (PDF) for Densifier325 Standard Pozz
BUY DENSIFIER325 STANDARD POZZ
ULTRAPOZZ™ (NCS-3)
An ultrafine pozzolan for high-performance precast concrete products like glass fiber reinforced concrete (GFRC) panels and other architectural accent pieces. Also used in ultrafine cementitious grouts.
» Size/Grade: Ultrafine powder (NCS-3 microns)
Technical Data Sheet (PDF) for UltraPozz
BUY ULTRAPOZZ (NCS-3)

CONTACT US: salesteam@hesspumice.com

SEE ALSO:

CONCRETE: LIGHTWEIGHT PUMICE AGGREGATE AND SAND

CONCRETE: CONCRETE CANOE TEAM SPONSORSHIP

CATALOG: COMMON PUMICE GRADES

Sourced from the world's purest commercial deposit of white pumice

hess pumice logo